Friday, January 2, 2009

Meerkats at the Melbourne Zoo

Meerkats at the Melbourne Zoo

Meer Cats, well it is actually spelt Meerkats which I just learned right now, and you probably did too! They are adorable little guys. When I went to the Melbourne Zoo I fell in Love with them! I took a bunch of pictures which I wanted to share.

MeerKats are a small mammal and a member of the Mongoose family.


A Group of Meerkats is called a group, mob, or clan. When I was at the zoo there were a few mobs of Meerkats and there is always one from each mob watching out for danger. The danger in this case was my girlfriend because there were no high-end fashion shops at the zoo, and she was on an angry rampage.

Birds of Prey (Owls, Hawks, and Eagles) are a natural predator of the Meerkat Is dat a Hawk!?....Nope just stupid bird....Hope he dont poop in ma eye!




How Meerkats spot danger.


When a predator is spotted, the meerkat performing as sentry (the lookout guy) gives a warning bark, and other members of the gang will run and hide in one of the many bolt holes they have spread across their territory. After they all scurry and hide the sentry meerkat is the first to reappear from the burrow and search for predators, constantly barking to keep the others underground. If there is no threat, the sentry meerkat stops signaling and the others feel safe to emerge.


I see u hidin in there SNAKE


Some of a Meerkats natural predators include Birds of Prey (like eagles and hawks and owls), Snakes and Jackals


LOOK OUT A COBRA

Made Ya Look!


Well that's all for now, hope you enjoyed your meerkat lesson!

Next post: Giant Tortoises make a funny noise when they have sex....and I have the video to prove it!

0 comments: